Curls: Quite a lot of them.
Carrots:
I planted carrots and dill this year in my butterfly garden to attract swallowtail caterpillars. I started pulling them up, and found this gigantic one!
Caterpillars:
On the carrot leaves, I found ONE swallowtail caterpillar. I didn't know exactly what kind it was until I did some research. I was a bit baffled because the swallowtail caterpillars I discovered last year looked completely different than this one. But, apparently as they grow and shed their skin, they make a huge transformation from orange, black and spiky to a very bright green and black and smooth. This photo doesn't do it justice. It is quite possibly one of the most beautiful caterpillars I have ever seen! (yes, I know how geeky that sounds). Next year I'm going to plant fennel and parsley which apparently attracts them better than dill and carrots.
Until next blog,
Jen
4 comments:
Wow, that caterpillar really IS pretty! :) Addy's hair is so curly it almost looks like an Annie wig...if only it were red.
My whole life I thought those were tomato worms...
I love addy's hair...so pretty. and that caterpillar isn't bad either. ;)
I ate 22 of those caterpillars on Fear Factor.
Post a Comment