Well, the following recipe is a FAVORITE at our house and, since I made 48 of them today, I thought I'd share this little gem with ya'll. If your kids like pb&j, they'll be sure to eat these. And...get this...there is a VEGETABLE in it (SHH!!!)!! They aren't quite as simple as a pb&j, but with an hour of effort, you can make a whole batch of them to freeze and zap in the microwave at a moments notice. And, even for those of you with no children in the house, they're a great snack for us adults!
PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS
*non-stick cooking spray OR paper muffin cups
*1/2 cup natural peanut butter (creamy) MUST BE NATURAL PB...IT WON"T TURN OUT AS GOOD IF NOT!
*1/2 cup carrot puree (I use a jar of carrot baby food, its easier and the texture is perfect for this recipe)
*1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
*2 tablespoons butter, softened
*1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
*1 large egg white
*1 cup all-purpose flour (I actually use 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose)
*1 tsp baking powder
*1 tsp baking soda
*1/4 tsp salt
OPTIONAL: 2 tablespoons wheat germ (for extra hidden nutrients!)
as is, this recipe makes 12 muffins (I usually quadruple the recipe for freezing purposes)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat muffin pans or line with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, carrot puree, sugar, and butter with a wooden spoon until well combined. Stir in the yogurt and egg white.
3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat germ (if using). Stir until just combined, but do not overmix - there should be some lumps in the batter.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. (OPTION: At this point you can choose to drop a spoonful of jelly/preserves on top of the batter of each muffin. I choose not to do this...instead I add my toppings when I serve them)
5. Bake until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 20-25 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto the rack to cool.
6. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or bag and freeze.
How we eat them:
Me: plain, warmed slightly in the microwave
Addy: cut open with honey drizzled on top
Keith: cut open with strawberry-rhubarb preserves on top
Brian: by the dozen on his cheat day
If you want to try one...come on by...I have lots!!
This recipe is from the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. I LOVE that cookbook!!
Until next blog,
Jen
5 comments:
How many muffins does it take to make a lunch? :)
Well, I usually just give them one muffin and a side of fruit. But, today I didn't feel like giving them anything else, so Keith ate 3 of them!!
Love the picture - funny! I will definitely try this recipe - sounds good!
Sounds good, but if there is only 1/2 cup carrot puree going into 12 muffins, is that really a full serving of vegetables? I'm sure it's a bigger serving than my kids get from frozen corn dogs, so maybe we'll try them anyway.
We have a woman named Alice who lives in a little room near our kitchen, who makes every meal for the family. She dates a man named Sam. He is a butcher, so we always have the choicest cuts of meat. While she is an employee, she is also a valued member of our family, and loves us like her own. This makes it handy when I'm working in my den, or my wife is singing in the church choir, because we know that our children are being fed wholesome meals prepared with love!
Post a Comment