We have a HUGE wild raspberry bush on the east side of our driveway and, for some reason, the birds pretty much left it alone this year. So, we helped ourselves to several after-dinner treats of tasty fruit!
BLADES
Rollerblades, that is! Our friends up in Wisconsin who have four boys came down for a basketball tournament last week and brought some great hand-me-down stuff. Included was a pair of rollerblades and a pair of roller skates. The blades were "safety-locked", so Addy could cruise around fairly easily. The skates were straight out of the 70's, lacking only those big puffy balls with jingle bells attached the the toes! Thankfully, Keith had on his polyester shorts and Addy's tank top to complete the retro look. They did NOT have a safety feature so, after several crashes, Keith decided to hold my hand for the duration of his skating.
BLACKTOP
This past weekend my mom and I drove up to Chicago for the annual American Sewing Guild convention. When we returned we were greeted with the whole family standing at the end of our driveway with a "SURPRISE MOMMY!" sign in front of our newly blacktopped driveway. It sure will be great to drive on...in a few days when the asphalt has completely solidified. For now, the kids have begun to enjoy it. Now all we need is to find a garage sale with a child sized basketball goal! Here is a short, and possibly boring, video of the kids on the new driveway.
BEETLE
Well, my blog truly wouldn't be complete without the frequent mention of the insects we encounter. Brian and the kids discovered this awesome beetle on the wood pile while I was gone. Check out the detail of this creature! The antenna seem to be knobby and what a set of choppers!! From my quick research on the internet, it appears to be a stag beetle. So cool!
Until next blog,
Jen
6 comments:
How nice to have the driveway blacktopped. What a nice surprise! I'm loving the roller skates.
I think we have a wild raspberry bush too. They aren't ready for picking though. Will Addy be ready to blade on the monon soon? :)
Congrats on the driveway! How fun! :) We have been picking wild blackberries and black raspberries this past month, too! Our new dessert is the berries w/lite cool whip on top! yum!
Keith's retro outfit and skates reminds me of skating party days when i cruised around the rink in my garfield skates w/the change purse on the side...ahhh...those were the days....
Have I got a basketball hoop deal for you! Mrs. Jordan sold this hoop at her garage sale when her son Michael went off to college. It was purchased by a Mr. R. Miller (and that ain't Reggie). Mr. Miller used the hoop at IU and donated it to the university when he graduated. At IU Mr. Knight honed his throwing skills by throwing chairs at the hoop. It is now well seasoned and ready for some real hot shots.
Price: Two hugs from the Danville Hugger and one from Doctor Squeeze.
If I had only known that you would need it!!! I donated the goal Niketown in Chicago, for everyone's enjoyment. If you are ever up that way, stop by and take a look! But alas, now I wish I had kept it for your kids.
Jennifer-- in your bug research have you learned about Daddy Long Legs? I am wondering if they are of value for eating centipedes? If not, its probably time to move them out of the basement before they get big enough to eat dachshunds!
Post a Comment