Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Back into the swing of things

Well, I did make it back from NYC (perhaps some of you were wondering!). I apologize for my blog MIA...in addition to all the hustle and bustle of Christmastime, I have been struggling to get back to my daily routines after my trip. Am I getting so old that a mere 4 day vacation throws me in such a tizzy?? Gee, I hope not!! Well, enough yapping...here's a summary of my wonderful NYC trip.

Here I am with my sewing idol and trip leader, Peggy Segars



One of the main reasons for the trip....fabric shopping!! And boy did we do lots of it!! We were able to get our hands on some pretty nice stuff for very reasonable prices.






Here is my mom and Brooke getting ready to enjoy brunch at Saks Fifth Avenue before starting our second day of fabric shopping. At Saks, a cheap pair of pants will run you about $500 and a pair of boots will be about $2000. We bought nothing.



After our checking accounts were emptied in the garment district, we headed up to Midtown to visit my sister-in-law, Beth, at her office. We now are officially the ONLY family members to see her office (including her fiance!!). Here she is hard at work!



And here we are in front of the scenery at the main entrance of Beth's office building. Now, wouldn't you look forward to going to work if your office were as nicely decorated?? The little people in the scenes were even animated!



And, of course, we toured the city in our remaining time there. Here is a picture of the crowd that we walked with at Times Square. This was the first weekend after the big tree was lit at Rockefeller plaza, so there was quite a crowd.



Visiting the Empire state building without ANY wait! From what I've heard, that is a miracle!!




After much searching, we finally find the huge button and needle in the garment district!



Oh no! Brooke's head is getting poked by the needle!!



Legend has it, if you go to Times Square on New Years Eve, you have to wear an adult diaper because there are no public bathrooms available. Well, if what I'm am about to describe to you remains open, then that will all change this year. Here is a storefront in the heart of Times square completely dedicated to toileting the public, sponsored by Charmin. I believe there were over 20 individual bathrooms there. After doing your business you have a wide assortment of Charmin products to choose from. Then someone comes and cleans the bathroom before the next person goes in.


Here is the reason behind this great idea...Charmin is taking a poll to see which type of toilet paper people prefer. So, after you use the bathroom, you pull a lever to vote. The great thing is...you get a coupon for whatever you vote for. And yes, this Charmin MC is riding around on a Segway.



OK, ok, enough bathroom talk...

We also filled our time on Saturday by taking a 1 hour tour of the NBC studios, which was fun. I think one of the best parts of the trip was being able to see NYC all decked out for Christmas. If you haven't done it yet, I highly suggest you put it on your list of things to do before you die. Here are a few of the holiday decorations we saw...






So, some of you may be wondering..."How did Brian do, having the kids all by himself for all this time?" Well, Addy did make it to school and home on Thursday, and Brian even cooked dinner Thursday night!! Wow! Then Friday came and he did what any good single-father-for-a-weekend would do...took them and himself to Grandma and Grandpas until I came back!!!



Until next blog,
Jen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn Blogger ate my comment. Anyway, looks like you had a good time. When will we see your completed projects with the NYC fabric? :)

PEEPER said...

The blogger ate your comment? I didn't even know it had a digestive system!!! Completed projects...hmmm...perhaps once I get my Christmas presents finished and Addy's pjs made, then I can start on my new fabric!!! So....a year??? ha ha

Nathan, Amanda, Violet and Anara said...

Jen, you look great! Is Peggy S. someone famous in the sewing world? I can't even hem curtains evenly but deep inside I do wish I could sew.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

HOW FUN! I've always wanted to go to NYC - I bet seeing it w/all of the Christmas Decorations was wonderful! Are you planning another fabric trip any time soon?

Anonymous said...

So glad to finally get the 411 on your trip to NYC. I'm really glad that your post didn't include anything about game night!! I have the same question - who is Peggy Segars anyway?
I think you should dedicate your next blog entry to accounting for and showing pictures of all of your shoes. Did you go home and count them all last night?

Anonymous said...

According to the web site the idols name is Peggy SAGERS. Perhaps w/ the correct spelling everyone will know who she is. I would think that a big fan would know how to spell their idols name!!!!!