Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homemade bird feeders

About a week and a half ago (when there was still snow on the ground!) the kids and I decided to entertain ourselves by making homemade bird feeders...you know...the kind with pine cones and peanut butter? So, I got out the peanut butter and portioned it into a bowl. Much like Martha, I like to have all my ingredients ready to go before I start the project. So, I got my boots on and headed out to the garage to get the bird seed. When I came back in, I found my "bird feeder makers" eating the peanut butter!!!




So, I let them finish out that peanut butter, got some more in the bowl, and then they quickly realized the fun of getting messy with peanut butter. Addy even got some in her hair!






The final step was rolling it in the bird seed and hanging it on some yarn. They were very proud of their creations!





It has taken me so long to blog this because I have been waiting and waiting for the birds to attack these bird feeders so I could get a cute little picture of our feathered friends enjoying their pine cone feast. BUT, as I said, its been a WEEK AND A HALF and still NO TAKERS! They haven't even eaten the bird seed that I poured in the real bird feeder! I'm just glad I didn't waste my organic peanut butter on these finicky creatures!!

Until next blog,
Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The birds have apparently read up on the recent peanut butter scare. You should probably put a sign out there that your PB is salmonella-free!

Anonymous said...

Sheba will happily come over and lick that peanut butter off those pine cones! Now THAT would be a good photo. :)

PEEPER said...

Sheba LICK??? Heck, she'd just devour the whole pinecone!!