Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Addy's Thanksgiving Feast

Does everyone remember when they were in preschool and made pilgrim or Indian outfits, and then had a feast?? Well, that was today for Addy's class. However, they leave it to the parents to make the original Thanksgiving garments for their little ones. Normally I would have moaned and groaned about how "I'm paying all this money and they can't even staple some construction paper in the shape of pilgrim's hat for my kid"??? But, I recently purchased a new "felting" machine (sort of like a sewing machine) and was excited to use that to craft Addy's outfit (she chose to be an Indian). And, thanks to my mom who saved a bunch of things from my childhood, I was able to put new life into a 30-year old feather headress to complete the outfit. Since I was in the Thanksgiving spirit, I even made a quick costume for myself!! Addy was very excited to have Brian and me come visit her school with her and we had a great time seeing what she does.

Addison (Indian name: 'Flutters with Butterflies') ready for the feast



Pilgrim Jennifer with 'Flutters with Butterflies'



Addy's friend, Maggie (her Indian name was 'Runs from camera')


'Flutters with Butterflies' and 'Runs from camera' sit and listen to a story with their classmates



The kids play a game "Hide the Turkey". One kid hides a stuffed turkey while the others stuff themselves in these cubbies so they don't see the secret hiding spot. Here, Addy's headress gets pushed over her eyes while getting out of the cubbie. Due to this unfairness, I thought about calling a "time out", but soon realized that it was just a fun little game and it didn't really matter if Addy found it or not. Really, it didn't. But, just the same, we'll be playing hide the turkey at home, for practice for next year.



Addy sits patiently, ready to do the ever-popular turkey-made-from-your-handprint craft



The mini pilgrims and Indians sit down to their Thanksgiving feast (this was the 3rd of 4 feasts for her teachers!!!)



Chief Turkey feather with his little Indian home from the feast



Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Remember to thank God for all your blessings!! I know I have too many to count!

Until next blog,
Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Runs from Camera" had a great time at the feast. She told Papa Jim when she got home that her favorite part was the bread and the "Hot Turkey" game. Mackenzie enjoyed looking at the turkey hand craft and coloring pages. The necklace is already MIA. "Flutters with Butterflies" had a great outfit! We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love how you go above and beyond by being the only mom with a costume! :)