Thursday, September 20, 2007

Toilet training a boy...the fun begins!



This picture says it all...ever since he was born, Keith has always been interested in what Addy was doing and trying with all his might to copy it immediately. So, naturally, he now wants to go to the bathroom on the toilet instead of his diaper because, after all, that's what Addy does. And, while he definatley gets an "A" for effort, I'm not sure he's quite up for it yet...or maybe its me thats not ready! Case in point...yesterday. He walked through the front room shouting "Have to go potty!!" and ran to the bathroom, lifted the seat, and started to pull his pants down. I ripped off the pants and diaper as quickly as I could so as to seize the moment. He stood, leaned forward, grunted, and nothing came out. I asked "Don't you have any pee?" and he replied "nope" then ran off (pantless) to go see what Addison was doing. I gather his pants and get a new diaper and then go find him. I find him standing in the office, watching Addy play a computer game, with poop right on the floor by his feet. Looking back, he did answer my question correctly...he didn't have to PEE!!!! We now have a very clean spot on the carpet in our office and I'm left wandering what the best method for toilet training a boy is. I mean, with Addy it was so simple, you sit for everything. But, not being a boy, I'm not really sure how to approach the whole 'sit when you poop, stand when you pee" training session; and its quite obvious that Keith can't properly verbalize whether he needs to do #1 or #2. Any advice is highly sought after.

Until next blog,

Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I know much about potty training, but it makes sense to me to first train him to do both sitting. Only because it might be confusing to him to stand when peeing and sit when pooping. If he sits for both it won't matter. Then when he learns which one he has to do have Brian show him how to stand and aim. :)

Sorry about the poo on the floor, but it is a funny story! hehehe

Anonymous said...

I thought you were doing another college story about me, but I see now that you actually are talking about your children!!

We had Zachary do both sitting down at first, but soon enough he learned that it was a lot more fun to stand up with pants and undies around the ankles. That went on for awhile until we had to make him not expose his bum bum in a public bathroom(beware of this, because if the pants and undies are not pulled down far enough in front, the mess can be collossal). I'm certain that if I know Brian, he will not be demonstrating proper technique to Keith, so I can bring Zachary over to show him the tricks of the trade if you want!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you not posting a pic of the poo poo on the floor! ha ha
What is it with second children? Mackenzie has been doing the SAME THING; "I want undies, mommy...I want potty mommy..." I'm NOT READY to potty train her with a newborn!!(That's my excuse, anyway!) She took her poo poo diaper off TWICE last week before I could catch her. It would save us a bunch of $ if I would start training her...(Pampers has made a fortune off of our family!).....to me,potty training = Lots of mess, Lots of Laundry!
:) Erin